A few weeks ago we went to Hungry Jack’s and tried the Angry Onions, which are the epitome of deep-fried goodness with a zesty jalapeno kick in the batter. It was only a matter of time before we’d try making these ourselves.
And what better to go with onion rings than sliders? Using adorable Brasserie Bread slider brioche buns, we set out to eat ourselves silly. A mountain of onion rings. A dozen sliders. A good night to be had.
500g lean beef mince
½ cup breadcrumbs
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp mild mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
salt & pepper
12 slider buns (we used the brioche buns from Brasserie Bread)
lettuce leaves, cut into slider-size pieces
ketchup, tomato or BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Line a baking tray with foil.
- Combine the mince, egg, breadcrumbs, tomato paste, mustard, garlic powder and salt & pepper in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly (use your hands!).
- Roll into 12 balls, and flatten to make patties slightly larger than the size of your slider buns (because they will shrink when you cook them).
- Heat a frying pan or grill pan over high heat, spray with canola oil spray. Cook the meat patties in batches until seared, approx. 30 seconds each side.
- Place the seared patties on the lined baking tray, top with cheese and put into the oven.
- Halve the slider buns sideways and put on another baking tray. Once the cheese on the patties have begun to melt, put the buns into the oven to toast them. Bake for 5 mins, or until buns are toasted to your liking.
- To assemble, put patties on the bottom half of each slider bun. Top with your choice of sauce, lettuce, and the top half of the slider bun. Use a toothpick to secure if necessary (but be careful and warn your guests!).
*Try your favourite cheeses!! Good options that work well are blue vein, brie and camembert. Yum.
**Angry Onion recipe is coming! They weren’t angry enough this time around.
-Sarah & Nads