Nadia and I have been going a bit mug cake crazy of late, and a rainbow cake was high up in our priorities. I strongly urge you to avoid using violet for the colouring because it ended up looking gray and washed out. Not the kind of colour you’d want in a rainbow cake! So go for vibrant hues instead. We also experimented with the mug cake recipe, using melted butter instead of vegetable oil, amping up the sugar content and adding vanilla essence.
4 tbsp self-raising flour
6 tsp sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
4 tbsp milk
1. Get your favourite mug; mix together the dry ingredients in it.
2. Add the melted butter and milk, stir well!
3. Divvy up the batter into separate bowls, and stir in your favourite food colours.
4. Use a spatula to put the different coloured batches of batter into a mug or glass.
5. Microwave for around 2 minutes.
-Sarah & Nads